The simplest form of life on our planet is mold, and it responsible for decomposing decaying matter while returning vital nutrients back to the ecosystem. But as much good as mold does for the planet, it can lead to significant diseases in both animals and humans.
If you’re wondering if mold affects dogs or cats, you’ve come to the right place. In a way, mold affects our pets even worse than it affects us as human beings. Where humans can suffer from a few respiratory problems and possible allergy problems, dogs and cats can experience a lot more. Since their bodies are smaller, their bodies can’t take as much as ours can. Black mold can make dogs sick and mold can make cats sick. It can affect any other pet, too. In this article, we will tell you how mold affects pets.
Mold helps in the degradation and slow deterioration of organic material. Many fungi do this, but mold is especially apt at it, considering it produces mycotoxins. Our pets are just as susceptible to mold exposure as we are. We have defenses against it, as do pets, but they will be worse off in the long run. They can even vomit and suffer from internal bleeding if the mold issues aren’t taken care of. This article will assist you with treatment for your pet’s mold exposure as well.
Mold can be a serious problem for you, your family, and your pets. It can be a trying time, but you can recover from it. Your pets can recover from mold exposure, too. Dogs and cats are more sensitive to mold exposure. However, if you ever find that your pet is having problems like breathing or a lot of vomit, you should take them to the vet immediately.
What is mold?
Mold is a multicellular fungus that grows in colonies in damp, warm places. This fungus helps degrade deteriorating organic matter, which means that it can cause a lot of problems for living things. These fungi produce spores in the air and spreads through these spores. If they get into your body or on other surfaces, it is possible they will grow into more colonies.
It’s unlikely that they will grow inside your body, but it will cause your immune system to go crazy. This includes your pets, too. Even if you’re not sensitive to mold, you can get sick from mold exposure. Fatigue, chronic headache, allergies, and more can come from mold exposure. If you suspect that you might have mold, it’s a good idea to get a remediation service as quickly as possible.
Molds also produce mycotoxins, which cause a negative reaction from our bodies. This is especially true for black mold. It can worsen your sicknesses, including the allergy problems, as well as loss of appetite, mood swings, and more. However, there are ways it affects pets as well. Dogs and cats don’t normally go through mood swings, but there are a few more dangerous things it can do to them.
How does mold affect pets?
Animals are just as organic as us, so their bodies are made up of living cells. As such, these mycotoxins and spores can affect them just like they affect us. However, their bodies react a bit differently to these mycotoxins and mold spores. It’s even possible for them to be killed by it, although this is an extreme case and isn’t common.
If you find your pet is getting sick, you should take them to your local veterinarian immediately because the effects of black mold on dogs and cats are more serious, quick and intense in these animals. While they may not be able to pinpoint mold as a specific cause, they will be able to assist in providing medicine to help their immune system relax.
If your pet suffers from any of the following, it may be symptoms of black mold in dogs and cats.
- Constant sneezing
- A runny nose
- Joint pain with trouble walking
- Loss of fur
- Bleeding at the nose or mouth
- Excessive scratching and biting
These are all pretty serious symptoms, mold or not. If your pet experiences any of these, veterinarian assistance will be required. However, if any of these symptoms line up, you may want to get a mold test kit and test your home for it.
There are other hints that mold could be in your home. One of the biggest hints that it might be mold is if you experience similar symptoms as your pet. If your cat or dog have begun showing respiratory problems, you could feel similar symptoms. This includes trouble breathing, chronic headaches, and allergy problems.
Can pet urine cause mold?
All pets have accidents at some point or another. If you keep a dog or cat, they may accidentally go on the floor. This is already sort of annoying as is, but if you let it linger, it can cause more damage than you think. Urine is already pretty gross, but it can slowly deteriorate into something worse and promotes mold growth. This is especially true since it’s warm.
It’s a good idea to clean up as much as you can to avoid lingering odors. However, since this is moisture, it will also cause water damage to the floor or wall. Water damage is the prime reason that mold growth occurs and urine will most certainly promote mold growth. Make sure you clean your pet’s accidents as quickly as possible to avoid further damage.
The first thing that anyone can do when it comes to mold is to get rid of the mold. Getting rid of the mold before anything else is most important. If your pets are given veterinarian help and you still have mold in your home, the treatment could be for nothing. Mold remediation should be done as quickly as possible. There are many local mold removal contractors around you, so be sure to schedule an appointment.
Your veterinarian can tell you what to do with healing your pet, but it consists of a few things that you can do at home. Usually, it revolves around:
- Caring for the pet
- Making sure it’s comfortable
- Managing any further vomiting, waste, etc.
- Any medication the vet may have given
If the mold is gone, your pet will heal on its own. Even if it’s black mold exposure, their bodies and ours have a way of repairing itself and healing from the mycotoxins. You may need to switch dog or cat food to be healthier, but make sure they get exercise after they have had time to heal as well.
Mold of any kind can be dangerous to our health. Black mold produces mycotoxins that not only we can get sick from, but our pets can get sick as well. Their bodies are not quite adept at handling it like ours can, so they may get a bit sicker than we do. Mold and black mold can cause internal bleeding and sores on a dog or cat’s body. However, this also goes for many other pets as well. Ferrets, birds, and more can suffer from mold exposure.
Treating a pet is a matter of taking it to the veterinarian and supplying it with supportive care afterward. Dogs and cats are strong and their bodies can heal over time from mold exposure, but you may have to assist with medicines or anything else the veterinarian offers. If your pet shows any symptoms like constant sneezing, wheezing, quivering, stool changes, or bleeding, a vet visit should be made immediately.
If you have mold in your home, you should look into mold remediation. There are many people that have gone through mold remediation. Don’t get too worried or stress too much about mold, but you can’t sit idly if you have it. Water damage is the first key to possible mold damage, so never sit by if you have water damage. Otherwise, keep an eye out and do monthly home maintenance to keep mold out of your home.